World Nutella Day 2018
The first ever jar of Nutella was concocted 54 years ago in 1964 in Italy by Pietro Ferrero’s son, Michelle, and introduced as a solution to overcome the shortage of cocoa following world war II. Today, Nutella is the world’s favourite chocolate spread, so much so that the great wall of China could be covered 8 times with the number of Nutella jars sold in a year across the world.
On Thursday 25th January this year, we witnessed hundreds of people in France going nuts for Nutella after Intermarché, a French supermarket chain, decided to drop their prices of Nutella by a whopping 70%, dropping from the usual €4.50 to €1.41. As a result, we witnessed a massive 3-day long frenzy in these stores where Nutella fanatics were seen pushing and shoving each other just to make sure they got some of that nutty, chocolatey goodness for an insanely low price! Across these 3 days, 3 months’ worth of Nutella was sold in a single day!
But why do we see shoppers demonstrating such extreme behaviour in stores when they apply massive discounts such as in cases like these and on Black Friday?
- Scarcity Effect: The main tactic at play here is the scarcity effect. As the name suggests, this works by making a product or item to appear to be scarce or in short supply. As humans, when we perceive something to be scarce or in short supply, we naturally place a higher value on that item and so with it, increases our desire for and liking of the particular item. Therefore, when retailers discount products to such an insanely low price, this creates fear in shoppers that they will miss out, meaning that many shoppers will risk life and limb to make sure they get a piece of the action and don’t lose out.
- Social Proofing: We also see social proofing at play here, where when unsure about how to act or behave in a certain situation, we often look to how others around us are dealing with it and tend to mimic the behaviours that they are displaying. This is why we see shoppers losing all self-control and resorting to such extreme and at times, quite violent behaviours all over a tub of chocolate spread.
Will you be celebrating world Nutella day? Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Making a recipe using Nutella
- Posting a pic of you and a jar of Nutella
- Come up with a new way of using Nutella
- Introduce others to Nutella
Want to know more?
Call us – (+44)01543 255 259 or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org